Frequently Asked Questions
If you've got questions, we've got answers!
It is advisable to keep the furniture out of the sun as much as possible. To maintain good moisture content in wood furniture, use a quality wax without silicon..
If it is a deep burn, it may have to be refinished. However, if it is only a light brown spot, it may be corrected to save this expense. First clean the area by scraping away the dark burned finish with a sharp knife or a single-edge razor blade. Remove all loose dirt or charred wood and clean with naptha. Smooth the area of the burn with 500-grit sandpaper and steel wool. If a small spot, use rub-in stick to fill area and remove all excess. Spray with an aerosol can of clear lacquer. Dry for 8 hours and steel wool using a paste wax. If a large spot, touch up to blend into surrounding areas and burn-in as in procedure for small dents, chips or splits.
A memory foam mattress is ideal for promoting a restful sleep. Studies have shown that because of its supportive nature, it reduces the amount of tossing and turning by up to 80% – one of the key causes of restless sleep. Relief to pressure points also means improved blood circulation, perfect for people who suffer from swollen joints. We get many customers commenting on how they have slept better than ever before on their new memory foam mattress.
There is a general belief firmer is better however that isn’t always the case. Supportive is the best feature of any mattress. Too firm can make the lower back arch and create lower back pain. If the mattress is firm without support, it will not alleviate tossing and turning or shoulder and upper back pain. If you prefer the firmer feel, latex foam is a great option for you. Latex foam is a perfect combination of support and doesn’t conform to the body like memory foam.
Traditional innerspring mattresses are made of several steel coils that provide different levels of support. They will often come with a foam pillow top or other plush materials to add more comfort.
Healthy Back features memory foam (Healthy Back Sleep System and Tempur-Pedic) and latex foam (Healthy Back Bliss Latex and Sealy Embody) mattresses which conform to the body to provide optimal support to side and back sleepers suffering from back pain. When sleeping on your back or your side your body is never completely flat but contoured. Foam will conform to these contours and provide support to still keep your spine in proper alignment which will prevent or alleviate lower back, upper back, shoulder and hip pain.
- Search out a mattress with the proper level of spinal alignment support for your body. When you lie on your back, you should not feel your back arch in the slightest way. If you were able to look at yourself from a distance, your head, hips and toes should all be in line with each other which probably means your shoulders and hips are settled into the mattress somewhat. There should not be space between your lower back and your mattress.
- Search out a mattress with the proper level of pressure relief for your body. When you lie on your side, you should not feel any pressure to your shoulder or hip.
- Search out a mattress that isolates motion from one side of the mattress to the other. Take your partner shopping with you. Lie on the mattress together and have your partner toss and turn. The more you feel the mattress jiggle, the more fragmented your sleep is likely to be.
- Be prepared to take your time and ask questions. Buying a mattress shouldn’t be a rush decision but something you spend time looking into. Start with a comfort test on good-quality mattresses and determine your comfort preference. Try plush and firm mattresses to see which feels more comfortable and supportive. You will need to lay on each for at least 5 minutes to really get an idea of what works for you. Next try other types of mattresses to experience different feels, including memory foam and latex foam mattresses.
- A few questions you should ask once you find a mattress you like:
- Whats inside the mattress that offers proper back and body support?
- What's inside the mattress that minimizes tossing and turning?
- There is no perfect mattress that will cure all your aches and pains. There are mattresses and other accessories that can help you sleep more comfortably, provide more support to alleviate hip, back and neck pain and help you wake up feeling much more refreshed.